Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pro Hart 1928-2006


I was saddened to read of the death yesterday of Pro Hart. I have visited his gallery in Broken Hill and always enjoyed his visions of outback Australia and dragonflies. His carpet cleaning ads were a memorable part of commercial television history in Australia. Australia's most popular artist did not have his paintings displayed in the National Gallery of Australia. The art snobs be damned of course, he laughed all the way to the bank and I am glad he did.

I liked the tribute at The Currency Lad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He couldn't paint for quids yet he did one of the best ads on TV.

He made money because people liked his work.
Capitalism works!

hc said...

Disagree Homer, I loved Pro Hart's paintings. Fun and authentic Australia. He was an unusual character and a bit of a mongrel but I liked him.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of that classic Monty Python line.

He found a market and lived well.
Were they consumers or wood-ducks or both?

Anonymous said...

Pro Hart made himself unpopular in "arty" circles by his very public opposition to gun control.

I wonder if this political opinion of his is in any way related to none of his paintings hanging in the National Gallery?

hc said...

Steve, He also supported Pauline Hanson when the looney-left in Australia were attacking her. As she was a hopelessly ill-equipped woman being fed to vultures I always hated these attacks even though I thought her attitudes simplistic. I grew to respect Pro Hart. I also just enjoyed his art.