Thursday, August 02, 2007

My need to go 'dum-dum'

I've been working hard for the last couple of weeks - mainly on tobacco issues - and reached the phase where the point of diminishing returns to what ever limited creativity I might have has been very much exceeded.

I feel the need for a 'do nothing' interlude where my brain is disengaged and, to use the phrase of an old friend, I go 'dum-dum'. A bit of wine, lack of intent and recognition of the strategic advantages of some (hopefully temporary) general stupidity is needed. I've done that this evening and hence needed help with this post.

I asked my 9-year old son, William, to help me and he said:
Write about how the government is trying to take people's holidays away and why they shouldn't - he saw the WorkChoices ads on the TV. OK, so the government shouldn't!

He also said people should not stay inside all day but should go outside and do some exercise. I don't think he was talking directly about me but he did think birdwatching was a good idea. I'll try tomorrow. Promise.

He also thought that kids should be restricted to less than 5 hours playing video games and watching TV per day a generous target that, quite honestly, he does not always meet himself. He has several of his dad's hypocritical genes and flair for prescription.

He also thought we should do something about helping poor people, global warming, pollution and excessive water use. How could anyone disagree? I'll start next Monday.
So that's it for this week, I'll return refreshed and reinvigorated Saturday. Consider this a free post zone. Do you ever need to go 'dum dum'? How do you do it if you do it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When in graduate school, I used to cook a proper two course meal (well the last course was ice cream which I didn't make) and then watch two rented movies til late in the evening. Particular favorites then were Japanese animated films, Excalibur, Cars that Ate Paris, Woody Allen etc.

Unfortunately can't do this as easily now!

Anonymous said...

Well, Harry, even if your take on economics ends in stuffing up
Australia, looks like you're nevertheless doing a good job educating young William!

Anonymous said...

PS
I've always called it "having a nothing day" - just doing what I want to do at the time, even if that is merely nothing, not even the news! Everything else that is merely important can wait until tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Harry - I'm waiting for your rational economic praise of Our Dear Leader's Heroic Hospital intervention in Tasmania.

Or will it take more than a few bottles of plonk to up the creativity required?

As you said: - "A bit of wine, lack of intent and recognition of the strategic advantages of some (hopefully temporary) general stupidity is needed."

Based on the above I'm assuming you have a special insight into his policy making.

btw - it looks as if those untrustworthy lefty teachers or someone is brainwashing your offspring. Quick decisive action is required.

hc said...

JWH, See my next post. Its a bad move I agree.

I don't agree that being exposed to left-wing views is necessarily bad. I very left-wing teachers at school (sir Henry would remember!) who got me thinking for the first time about politics.

I remember one English teacher in class questioning the case for Australian troops being in Vietnam. After recovering from the shock - I initially thought such questions were treasonous - I came to agree with her views. It got me thinking.

Everyone has political views. I don't regard lefties as people to be rejected - most of my friends are on the left. That does not mean I need to have the same beliefs as them.

I apply the same reasoning to institutions such as the ABC. I think there is leftwing bias there. But as a TV service it is by far the best in Australia and I strongly reject moves by those on the right to censor its activities and generally to cramp its style.

I'll post on this soon.