Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tiger Woods again & again

After an extra 19 holes of playoff Tiger woods defeated Rocco Mediate to win his third US Open Golf championship. Wood's rounds included 3 spectacular eagles. It was great viewing on FOXTEL - I have watched all but the final playoff holes which I will view this evening.

Woods played with a severe knee problem that left him wincing in pain throughout the tournament. Mediate is a comparatively old guy (45 years) who hasn't achieved a respectable win in 6 years but who severely challenged Woods. At times I found myself barracking for the older guy - yes I know that is tragic - but still the Woods phenomenon amazes me and I was pleased to see him get his victory.
Update: Woods' knee was in fact in very bad shape. He subsequently announced that he would miss the remainder of the 2008 season as he has a total knee reconstruction. The tremendous torque he generates with his golf swing puts huge pressure on his knees. Its a pity.

No comments: