Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mid-Week Responses

I have been running a blog for 11 days and enjoyed it. I am on my summer break from teaching and have had more time than usual to do things that interest me. Also done an ARC Grant application, revised a paper for publication, completed the preparation for two units I teach semester 1 and acted as Department Head of Economics and Finance at La Trobe.

I haven't done much hard economics which is what I am supposed to be about. The exception is some work with Svetlana Danilkina on the Becker-Murphy addiction model. It is going slowly but making progress. I will need to be more focused on things that I have to do as part of my working life from next week. I have to pay bills and justify my existence in the marketplace.

I like the idea of a blog as a diary. I also like comments but these petered out a bit as readers lost interest in things I like. I want comments but also want to do the things I like. Tradeoffs!

I experimented with Wordpress (and have constructed a blog using it) but find Blogger easier. Blogger doesn't however give a list of recent contributors so I have to look through all entries to see where new contributions are. It is easy to switch from Blogger to Wordpress and to retain all posts so I might do that. I know nothing about backing up and if this is possible.

I welcome reader comments on my blog and suggestions on anything that interests them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day. I also read Joshua's blog.
It's like flipping between "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox
and C-span.

Anonymous said...

I also have a look (and read some entries in detail) daily (along with some other economics blogs) - do not often comment though as am a little wary of making "off the cuff" responses - unless it is in an area which I know - or can apply an approach quickly - will try to do so more often though.

Anonymous said...

I like it Harry.


You look very distinguished.

Anonymous said...

Harry, Wordpress is infinitely more flexible than blogger, so I would recommend you stick with it. In time you may wish to change this blog from a simple journal to something more official looking, and with Wordpress you can do that in a matter of minutes.

With practice it's no more difficult to use than blogger. In fact I find it easier, especially when it comes to dealing with comments and links.

Otherwise, love your work.

Anonymous said...

You can set up blogger to email you all comments that have been posted on your blog - that way you can see all the new contributions.

In Blogger go to Setting, Comments, Comment Notification Address.

hc said...

Thanks Ecostudent, got that.

Sam I'll try Wordpress eventually. The documentation for it seems almost non-existent. I must guess but so far seems OK. I will set up Wordpress properly then switch across.