- Level 1, a verbal warning.
- Level 2, a verbal warning.
- Level 3, a verbal warning + a 'chat' with the teacher.
- Level 4, a verbal warning + a 'chat' + an entry in the take-home school diary.
- Level 5, a verbal warning+ a chat + an entry + visit to school head.
Hypothetically, for sixth and higher level offences on a given day, fifth level offence punishments repeat although I guess the head has her own schedule. William was unclear whether very severe offences would lead to an automatic jump to a high level or not since such high-level misdemeanors had never occurred.
A useful model for the criminal justice system? This classroom situation is a bit like an iterated prisoner's dilemma where tit-for-tat is improved upon by periodic (in this case daily) bouts of forgiveness.